Thursday, March 11, 2010

Murphy's Law

Ranch

Our cows are big K-State Basketball fans. They must get so excited by Clemente's play that one will inevitably calve during a game. Maybe Frank Martin's glare is equally effective on cow reproductive systems as it is on his players. We've had 12 calves and I think 10 of them have come on a game day (usually during the game itself).

Our cows are also more likely to calve when S is gone. Maybe they feel more comfortable around me, but I think it's just Murphy's Law. This leaves me perplexed on how to move a wet, slimy calf and overprotective mother out of the IA mud and into the dry straw of the barn. When I was first challenged with this situation, I tried (unsuccessfully) to pick up the slippery 90-lb baby with one arm while yielding a stick in the other to keep the mother at bay. After about 20 minutes of this experiment it was obvious that I overestimated my strength. Why can't we raise sheep again? I began exploring alternatives; and damning S for not buying me a calf sled. So what does an aspiring ranch wife do in this situation? I built my own. Now, when I say I built a calf sled, you have to understand my construction genes.

My maternal grandfather retrofitted a grainery, and later added additions, to a construct a lovely home that housed his 5 children and 3 of his grandchildren. That's pretty damn impressive. On the other hand, my dad has successfully hung a bathroom mirror and can wire together a mean set of panels (sorry dad). I got my dad's construction genes. I thought that my type A personality would lend well to construction projects in ag class, but my birdhouse corners were never exactly square and my stool was always a little wobbly - even after cutting off inches of leg length to try to correct this problem. So, when challenged with building a calf sled, I found a piece of plywood, drilled 2 holes in it, and threaded some twine through the holes as handles. Believe it or not, it works. I have moved 3 calves with it and (while the holes aren't even so the sled pulls a little to the right) the sled gets the job done. When I proudly explained my construction prowess to S, he laughed... but after viewing the sled (and me using it so much) he promised to buy me a real one next year. Maybe it will be my Valentine's Day present (oh goodie).

Anyway, K-State's playing and S is gone, so I best go check cows. Thanks for reading and GO CATS!

C

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! You crack me up. Keep blogging, I love to hear all the stories from the farm. You are going to make an awesome Ranch Wife.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete